Thursday, August 5, 2010

Advocating with Induction Teachers

Today I had the pleasure of speaking with the induction teachers for our district. Advocacy is vital to our profession so I asked if I could speak with them. It turned out that they were looking for more speakers and were grateful for me to volunteer. I do not remember learning about library collaboration in my education program and I had the feeling things have not changed much recently. I used Poll Everywhere to survey the group and these are the results. No is the largest answer unfortunately.

Poll Everywhere

You can find my presentation on Slideshare.

I explained how we can assist them and little things they can do to help us do our best for them. Many web tools are blocked in our district so I showed them several and told them to continue to ask that they be unblocked. I need more teachers helping me to fight for this. I also introduced them to the idea of a PLN and gave them five simple steps to get started.

I was pleased with their reactions and comments and I hope that in my own way I have contributed to helping others see our value.

BTW I asked other librarians in the district to help or attend (especially considering this is my first year) and I only had one person interested. Bummer.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing my post about PLN building. I love my PLN. It has been the most valuable learning I've experienced in my life! I wrote an update to the post you site for those who are ready for some more intermediate/advanced PLN work. Please feel free to share it. The link is http://theinnovativeeducator.blogspot.com/2010/08/5-ways-to-build-your-10-and-20-personal.html.

    I also turned that into a professional development session which you may be interested in providing at some point. You can get all the materials at http://nycizone.wikispaces.com/Build+Your+Personal+Learning+Network

    ReplyDelete