Friday, September 3, 2010

Banned Books Week Challenge


Banned Books week is approaching. This year the week falls on September 25-October 2. This week is so important because it reminds us of our freedom to choose what we want to read and the freedom of speech guaranteed in the first amendment of the Constitution. In celebration of Banned Books week I challenge you to read at least one title from the most commonly challenged or banned books.

I will be reading seven books from the list. One for each day of the week. I will review these titles on this blog. The books I have chosen to read are:


Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson
TTYL by Lauren Myracle
Gossip Girls: Nobody Does it Better by Cecily Von Zieger
August House Book of Scary Stories edited by Liz Parkhurst
Killing Mr. Griffin by Lois Duncan
The Earth, My Butt and Other Big, Round Things by Carolyn Mackler

What will you be reading? Why is it important to ensure our freedom to choose what we want to read? Stand up for your right to read.

Thanks to this blog for the idea for the reading challenge.

1 comment:

  1. I want to read Killing Mr. Griffin too. I'm pretty sure I read it as a teen (or pre-teen), but I need a refresher.

    Feel free to check out our Banned Books Month page and giveaway (you can post links to your reviews there of the frequently challenged books that you read this month!)

    Hope you enjoy the month! Look forward to following your blog!

    ReplyDelete