Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Faculty Reading Challenge

We have had a great time reading books together as a faculty this year. We read The Future of Us, Wonder, Divergent, Code Name Verity and This Dark Endeavor. Now I'm going to challenge the faculty to a reading competition.
I was inspired by The Hub's Reading Challenge.
Teachers are asked to read as many titles as they can from these lists with a goal of at least 25 books.

There are links to the lists on my library homepage.

We are using a Google doc to keep track of the books we read. There is one sheet on the doc for our classroom teachers and one for "everyone else" including our related arts teachers, guidance counselors, and administrators that are part of the book club. We are going to compete with each other a la summer throwdown (librarians vs. teachers). Luckily it worked out that there are 11 teachers on each team. I'm excluding myself and plan to challenge myself to read the most individually. I'm expecting a baby in May so my reading numbers will not be as high as in the past, but we'll see how much she sleeps.
I'm hoping that this challenge will encourage the teachers to read outside of their comfort zone, learn about the book award lists out there and have plenty of titles to recommend to students when we return in the Fall.
I'm going to be on the look out for prize ideas throughout the summer, but plan to create a gift bag of books and other treats that teachers will appreciate when school begins.
Even though I'm calling this the Summer Reading Challenge we are starting next week. I don't want them to see the goal of 25 and panic.

Do you have a summer reading program for faculty? If so, what do you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment