Tuesday, June 4, 2013

My Fav Graphic Novels for Book Boot Camp


My reading has been mainly focused on graphic novels to prepare for our first Twitter chat and Book Boot Camp challenge in July. There are so many graphic novels for boot campers to chose from that I thought it might be  helpful if I shared a list of my favorites (so far).

To see the three lists for July's graphic novel challenge visit our Book Boot Camp wiki

I have to say that you can't go wrong with any of the choices from this Top 10 List from School Library Journal, but my top three choices would have to be:

Drama by Raina Telgemeier (You must buy and read Smile and if you were a fan of The Babysitter's club like me then you have to check out her graphic novel versions)

Cardboard by Doug TenNapel (be sure to read his other books Bad Island and Ghostopolis)

Giants Beware by Rafael Rosado and Jorge Aguirre. It was the May selection for the SharpSchu book club.

I recommend that you consider purchasing books from both the 6-8 and 3-5 categories on this core collection list. 
A few favorites of mine from the 3-5 list are: Babymouse, Bake Sale, Explorer: The Mystery Boxes, Lunch Lady Series, Sidekicks and Zita the Space Girl. You should also purchase the Amulet series if you don't have it already. You may feel these are too young for middle school, but my boys and special education students LOVE them.

My top picks on the 6-8 list for purchase and reading are:


(Friends With Boys and Coraline are similar to Anya's Ghost)






A few new graphic novels I'm excited about:

Peanut by Ayun Halliday and Paul Hoppe

Primates by Jim Ottaviani and Maris Wicks. Jane Goodall is my hero so I can't wait to read this!

Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong by Prudence Shen and Faith Erin Hicks

If you want to see all the books I read for this challenge be my friend on Goodreads and look at my Book Boot Camp lists. I hope these suggestions help you decide which books you would like to read for our July challenge.

If you have read a graphic novel and would like to write a review for our blog, please leave a comment with your contact info. We would love to hear from you!

7 comments:

  1. Ms. Cox

    I love this. Just recently I have started a Boys Only Book Blog. Your blogs are a great inspiration and help in finding fun things to do with the boys.

    Kindly
    Anne Kelley
    A newbie wanabe tech, teacher librarian. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What is your blog? I would love to follow it.

      Delete
  2. Here it is http://kelleya.edublogs.org/

    If you have any trouble please let me know.

    Kindly
    Anne Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms. Cox were you able to see my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there a general email I can send you the password. Right now I am only using three participants and the blog is going to be presented for my library graduate course. In the Fall I will be switching it from Edublog to a free subscription.

    Kindly
    Anne Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a huge fan of The Babysitter's club, too! I love Ann Martin's writing style. Anyway, you have great reading choices here. I haven't read most of them, but based on your descriptions, they're all worth reading. Thanks for the list!

    Shelley @ YallTwins.com

    ReplyDelete